Monday, June 28, 2010

Jason's going back in time, too.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

It was going to be a bike ride, but Mother Nature had other ideas. It pretty much stormed a good portion of the afternoon in Highland Heights and that kept my bike in the garage. In fact, it kind of kept me from thinking too much about running, as well. If this was going to be two days off in a row…so be it. The abs could use the time off, though it will probably take a solid week of no running and then a gradual buildup to eliminate the pain…something I’m not going to be doing.

My son Jason was over for Sunday dinner and, at the ripe old age of 25, is planning a track comeback. He ran for Mayfield in high school, was a decent 800 meter man, and now wants to go out for the Kent State track team. He didn’t want to go to college after high school, but recently changed his mind and enrolled.

“Dad…I was looking at the times for the 800 meter guys and I think if I could get down to 1:55, I could make the team. Do you think that’s possible?”

“How much time do you have and how hard are you willing to work?” I asked.

He’s very motivated, but he’s also very busy. Working and going to school full time can be a load. I told him I could design the program and do the coaching, but he’d have to carve out 6-7 hours a week through the fall and winter to get it done. We are both looking forward to what should prove to be an interesting challenge.

“Be ready for your teammates to be calling you ‘grandpa’, though,” I said. I don’t think it will matter if he can make the grade.

Again, it’s the goal setting that leads to the dedication and commitment…in my opinion. My sister dialed me last night to ask more about my plans for kayaking across Lake Erie because she’s been telling friends from her ‘Spirit of America’ group (boating safety organization) and has kayaker’s that want to join me. Look for or create an opportunity to challenge yourself, pick a day, share the goal with friends and family, and then design and follow a sensible training program to accomplish the deed. It’s actually that simple…and it WILL keep you focused.

I’ll work out tomorrow. I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment