Sunday, June 20, 2010

A nice double.

Saturday, June 19, 2010
I had planned to meet Marie at 10 a.m. at the park to do a Survival workout. We will be doing a lot of specialty training all season. I want her to have the necessary upper body and core strength as well as the explosive power necessary to run really fast this fall. I also knew that I could not do the workout with all the stress it places on the abdominals with the pain I was feeling. I elected to get to the park early and do a run.

It was supposed to be up around 90 today, so running at 9 a.m. made all kinds of sense. I had about 75 minutes before Marie would arrive and I decided to use most of them running. I didn’t know how I would feel so I ran a course that could loop past the car half way through in case I needed to cut it short. I didn’t. I made it through the first 45 minutes with little effort, but then the loss of water began to take its toll. I was thinking about a refreshing dunk in the stream, but when I got there a family was wading around looking for things in the water. I didn’t want to freak them out so I kept going. I got to the car minutes before Marie arrived, having run 73 minutes. It was the longest run in three weeks and put me over 6 hours of running and 40 miles for the week.

I sent her on a warm-up jog while I made my way back to the creek. The family was still there, but I couldn’t wait any longer. I was as wet going in as I would be coming out…I just sweat too much. The kids gathered round to watch a full-grown, old man, clothed and with his shoes on, floating in water only knee deep. I’m guessing they don’t see things like me all that often.

Marie returned from her warm-up and was jealous. “That looks soooo good.”

“It is and right after the workout…you can take a plunge.”

She attacked the workout. She made the picnic table hop look so easy…she has very explosive power in her legs. By the time she’d done her bear and crab crawls, blasters, high skips, the hill climb and the picnic table hops though, she was starting to feel it.

“I’m out of shape and 10 pounds heavy,” she lamented.

She isn’t 10 pounds heavy, but she isn’t quite ready for this kind of workout. We went to the upper body stuff and some balance work before I sent her on another hill climb. She returned for the rock carry, press and toss and was pretty much toast. She educated me on poison ivy as we headed for more balancing and climbing the dam wall. After 45 minutes of intensity, we called it a day and headed for the creek where, with very little hesitation, she plunged in.

“Ahhhhh…” was about all she had to say.

I went home and cut the grass, which pretty well shot me. Later in the afternoon though, I began to get a riding itch and around 7:30 p.m. headed out for a short one. I managed to get in and hour and a half without a flat tire, but developed a killer appetite and at 10 p.m. was grilling hot dogs, burgers, and buffalo steak. To that, I added a thick, Breyer’s chocolate milk shake. It didn’t hit the spot, so I had a tall glass of chocolate milk and some diet iced tea, as well.

Burn 3,000 calories in four hours of hard exercise…consume 3,000 calories in 15 minutes of easy eating. Doesn’t seem fair, somehow.

Run duration: 73 minutes. Bike duration: 86 minutes

Training Heart Rate: 140 running. 120 biking

Calories burned during workout: 1240 running. 1275 riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment