Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Some times you feel like a run...some times you don't...

Wednesday, May 26th, 2010

Kim, a former Mayfield High School stand-out runner and current leader of the Akron Zips, and I were watching the Regional Track Championships. I’ve been actively involved with high school track runners, coaching and developing their off-season training programs for the last 25 years. There is nothing I enjoy more and watching them compete at the Regional meet for the opportunity to move on to the state meet. It’s running at it’s best and the races are so exciting. Today was the finals of the 4 x 800 and preliminary’s for everything else. We had a great time discussing running, figuring out who we thought had control in the different races, and pontificating on what we knew better than anyone else about the sport.

I had to get in my run after the meet, which ran until 7 p.m. We had an hour plus drive home and then I had to get to the park. I arrived there around 8:30 p.m., changed and was ready to run when the doubts started talking to me. “You don’t have time for a good run. Take the night off. Get home and spend some time with Holly…” and stuff like that. It was a perfect running night and I was there – ready to go – but…well…I listened to the voices. I climbed back into the car and headed for home.

I’ve been taking one day a week off from running and this would be it, I decided.

So…yeah...I blew it off. I’ve put off workouts throughout my training career, but this was the first time since this past February when I began the blog. There was certainly a time when I would have to worry about a pattern developing…but not now. I knew I would be back at it tomorrow night and with renewed vigor.

No comments:

Post a Comment