Monday, June 14, 2010

The Plan

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Marie called late Saturday morning. It was time to put together her season long training program, or 'The Plan'. She knew that I’d visited with the Alexander’s and spoken to Colby about the things that had made him one of the best high school milers in the country. He’d had two tips in particular and we would be using them throughout her training and into the season. She wanted a state championship, as well. And so do I.

She rode over on her mountain bike because we were going for a workout ride after finishing the program. It was aggressive. I would have her running six days a week over the summer and working in swimming, biking and the survival workouts, as well. She knew how much hard work and dedication it would take and how unpleasant it would be at times, but was excited to get started.

But first, the bike ride.

Now…Marie is a fierce competitor and in outstanding shape. I’m a couple of years older, not nearly as well conditioned, but I had a definite equipment edge. She was riding a mountain bike she’d gotten when she was 9, knobby tires and all, and I was on my sleek road bike. It was the only thing saving me. We headed out on my favorite course, which meant down the Iron Lung and up the other side. I rode a pace she could hack with her 50-pound tank, but I had to remember not to go too easy since I outweighed her by about 90 pounds, which despite the differences in bikes, I would be lugging against gravity up all those wonderful hills.

I was also riding against time and fate. I figured every minute without a flat was borrowed time. We made it to the turn-around a little early since road construction had taken out a bridge on my favorite riding road. This was probably a good thing since I think Marie was starting to struggle with that thing she called a bike. We were almost home when, rounding a turn, I noticed my back tire wasn’t tracking too well. I pulled to the curb and checked the pressure. Sure enough, it was going flat.

I pumped it up for the final five minutes to home, but a clear message was again being sent. When would I listen? Marie was happy when I suggested we’d throw her bike in the van and I’d drive her the remaining 4 miles to her house. Anyway, I didn’t want her bragging how she’d ridden me into the ground, dropped me off and continued on her ride.

No…wait a minute…that’s something only I would do.

Bike duration: 2 hours.

Training Heart Rate: 120.

Calories burned during workout: 1200.

No comments:

Post a Comment