Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The day after Slyman's

Friday, October 22, 2010
I’d had a banana and an apple for breakfast figuring that Slyman’s had given me all the calories I really needed for the next two days. I had a couple of apples in the car for lunch and figured on going easy for dinner, as well.  Holly had other ideas.


She’d gone to the grocery store and picked up one of those already baked chickens. They’re pretty good and if that’s all you were going to eat or if maybe you added a salad or a vegetable…but that wouldn’t be the Rolf way. She came home and whipped up some of her delicious gravy to go over noodles and the chicken. Well…I never insult the chef so I ate more than my fair share. Damn.

I’d gone on a short run earlier that evening. The days continue to shorten and the leaves haven’t stopped falling. I’ve run my trail so often though, that I seem to know almost every root and rock. I say almost because I know if I get even a little cocky, I’ll trip over an unseen obstacle and do another face plant into the brightly colored leaves. I jogged slowly and wondered what I’d be doing next week after the time changed and it was dark before six. Some people would get up early and run before work…but I’m not some people and I hate to run in the morning. I sleep in the morning. I’ve seen some fellow runners wearing headlamps while running and since I have a number of these for backpacking, could certainly give it a try. I suspect that it would be easy to overrun the beam and trip anyways and besides, batteries are expensive. Oh well…we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I felt a little sluggish during the final half of the run and was thinking that I might be in need of a day off. I had a lot of yard work to do tomorrow, which is kind of like a workout…but maybe I’d get the chance to do a ride if the rain held off.

Run duration: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500.

1 comment:

  1. I hate early morning runs too. But running in the dark is fun. I find a nice wide relatively smooth horse trail or even a paved trail and go with no lights on. Eyes will adjust enough. Carry a flashlight for those inevitable suprises. Its a whole different beautiful beast out there.

    Postman

    ReplyDelete