Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kids on leashes make me crazy.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Is it just me that’s bothered by kids on leashes? I’ve probably written about this before, but it really upsets me, so whenever I see it, I react. Someone please comment and tell me a reason it makes sense. I was driving on a side street in Kent after picking up Heidi and saw a woman was walking her…child. I suppose he was about 3 years old and he had this body harness thing over his coat…kind of like the harnesses roofers have to wear to keep from falling. Anyway, she was walking about 4 feet behind him holding the leash, which was hooked to the harness and running from his back. She’d give it a tug every now and again to keep him from…I don’t know…peeing on a tree? She was pretty heavy and maybe didn’t think she could keep up with him if he headed for the road…I don’t know, but I just don’t get it and I can’t imagine anything good coming of the memory created in a young person’s mind who was leashed when he walked.

Heidi came home to surprise Ash and have a dinner of Ash’s homemade chili and cornbread with us. They were going out to have drinks and do some dancing and I was going to stay home with Ollie. Frankly, I think I had the better deal…if not that night, surely the following morning. We’ll see.

It was raining…surprise, surprise…when I headed for the park to do a run for the fourth day in a row. The forecast was calling for sunshine starting tomorrow and for the next few days, so I figured I’d get in one more day of running and then return to cycling to give the hip a break…which maybe it didn’t even need. It was a gentle rain and with the temperature approaching 60, I was actually pretty comfortable and enjoyed the drops. My legs have been getting progressively sorer with each run…they could use some recovery time…and it took 15 minutes for that feeling to go away. It’s pretty normal for me and I wasn’t concerned. Taking a few days to cycle would eliminate that feeling, so I could put up with it for one more day.

I completed my loop in 30 minutes with no issues, but feeling a little slow and sluggish. At least it’s not 90 degrees, though I kind of miss the dip in Clear Creek at the conclusion of a run. My sister called after the run and invited me over for split pea soup and cornbread tomorrow night, which might make a ride difficult to squeeze in. If so, I’ll try another run and if I make it through 5 consecutive days without hip pain, I think I’ll be ready to accept that the hip may be healed.

Run duration: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the leash thing is very bothersome. As kids I am sure we were both hellians. But a quick smack up the side of the head was a reminder to keep in place. Not done today of coarse. Anyway, that lease should well prepare them for the corporate world later in life of which the corporate tie is our best reminder.

    Postman

    ReplyDelete