Thursday, October 28, 2010

Running in the rain.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

As I headed for the park to do my run, I considered what might happen. The wind had been blowing strongly throughout the day and major limbs and trees were down around Cleveland. A good place to go for a run on such days is the place with the most trees…or maybe not. I’m always jumping over downed trees in the park and often wonder why none have ever fallen on my head. Luck, I suppose, although once I was fortunate enough to see lightning hit one and watch it crash to the ground about a hundred feet up the trail. I mean…it’s pretty spectacular to see a tree fall when you’re not under it.

Anyway, I drove to the park and watched the strange, darkening sky with ominous clouds definitely headed in that direction. I parked the car in my usual spot and as I exited, heard what sounded like the rush of a train heading in my direction. I could see the tree tops bending against the ferociousness of the wind and knew heavy rains were right behind. Prudence suggested re-entering the car and driving home. Prudence, as I’ve discussed in the past…is way overrated.

I reached the trail and had run about a minute when the skies opened up. I was soaked in a matter of steps, with rain pelting me even through the foliage. I considered stopping, but with the way I sweat, getting soaked was no big deal and I figured my shoes could use a cleansing rain. I ran on.

The trail was under water in no time and every step was a splash of leaves and mud. Footing was precarious, but the rain was warm and felt good against my skin. I knew I wouldn’t be overheating today and I felt really fast after feeling like such a slug only 24 hours ago. It was darker than normal because of the storm, but the run was so enjoyable. I love running through puddles and warm rain…it’s an opportunity to feel sensations I normally avoid…rain pounding my body. It was completely refreshing and I went 45 minutes splashing, soaked, enjoying every step, and wishing I could run all night.

Later, Holly and I went to the movies to see ‘Inception’. Wow…I mean I like Leonardo, but weird movie about manipulating dreams, chase scenes, and an attempt to confuse the audience at every turn. They succeeded with me. I followed that with a trip to East Coast Custard and had a strawberry custard smoothie. The best.

Run duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 750.

No comments:

Post a Comment