Monday, October 18, 2010

Sore shin and too much cobbler.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

I’d gone to bed early the night before with my cold pack strapped to my right shin. It had started to get sore during yesterday’s run and by the end of the evening, I was having troubles walking…it hurt that much. I think I’d gotten it from the combination of the long hike, running all over a golf course to watch Kim’s race, and finishing with a hard 40-minute run on the trails. Whatever the reason, I was incapacitated for the moment. I’ve had shin splints many times over the years and for me, they’ve never kept me from running more than a couple of days. To play it safe, I elected to take the day off.

I will have to get in some serious training this week, though. An old high school classmate has been religiously following my blog from his home in Florida. He sent me a message that he’d be coming home this week and wanted two things…an easy run in the park and…a world famous corned beef sandwich from Slyman’s.

“Yeah…I’m kind of limited for time, what with all the people I have to see while I’m here, so I figured we’d go to Slyman’s and then go for that run,” Randy said when I spoke to him Saturday.

I didn’t remember him being dumber than a box of rocks, but that was almost forty years ago. “Great plan, Randy. Did you ever graduate, by the way? If you eat a Slyman’s sandwich and then try to run, you’ll be parking lunch on your shoes before we’re finished,” I said.

That’s Thursday, so I’ve got some serious running to do in the meantime. Oh…and since I couldn’t run, I went light at dinner time. Dessert was another matter. Holly had made apple cobbler and we had vanilla ice cream in the house. We don’t have either anymore. Like I said, serious running this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment