Monday, October 18, 2010

Run fast on a muddy course and you'll fall...that's a law.

Monday, October 18, 2010

It was almost what I’d call cold as I drove to the Metropark. I was going to do the Clear Creek Run because I wanted to get in something longer, but I was thinking I’d go at it a little slower. I’ve been thinking how I’d lost some of my conditioning from the hip layoff and I’ve set a goal to break my pr I’d set just before getting hurt by the end of next month…at the latest. I know I’ve got to do some long runs if I’m to run faster on Clear Creek, which is a 6.5 mile course, because I have trouble maintaining my effort over the second half of the run. My training has been sporadic lately, and I’m ready to rededicate myself to running…minor injury setbacks withstanding.

As I changed into my running gear, I began toying with the idea of going out fast and seeing how I felt over my first two checkpoints. I was thinking maybe I’d run at least as fast as I had last week when I’d first tried the course again. That day had been a decent effort…I’d managed the second fastest time for the course I’d ever run, but was a whopping 1:45 off my pr. It was cool and I was feeling pretty good.

I went reasonably hard over the first part of the course and was 10 seconds ahead of last weeks time at my first check point…a little less than two miles into the run. It felt easy though and I continued to push myself, working the uphills and trying to stay smooth and maintain pace on level ground. The trail was wet from the light drizzle that had been falling all day and combined with the falling leaves, was slippery and treacherous. Roots and rocks were particularly hard to see and I knew I would have to work harder to match times I’d run when it was dry. I made myself slow on the downhill sections to keep from falling.

I looked at my watch as I came in to what I consider the home stretch…about a mile to go…and saw that I was 45 minutes into the run. I felt like I had way too much left and began to pick it up. With around a half mile to go, I hit a turn moving pretty well and in the blink of an eye, was laying on the ground covered in mud. I’d gone down hard, but fortunately without hitting anything hard. My hip had taken most of the blow and I was up and running in a matter of seconds. I charged down the final 100 yards of the course and hit the stop watch. To my surprise and delight, I’d completed the course in 52:52, which was a 16-second pr. I was extremely pleased. I really hadn’t been expecting to be able to go so fast so soon and now have to readjust my goals. I still had plenty left at the finish and figure if I work at it, I could take my time under 50 minutes before winter sets in. It’s a good goal and if I achieve it, I might start thinking about racing next spring. I simply won’t go back to racing unless I can be competitive in my age group. Otherwise, what’s the point. Anyway, I’d been looking for a new goal for the fall…and I think I’ve found it.

Run duration: 52:52 – new pr for Clear Creek run.
Training Heart Rate: 145 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 900.

1 comment: