Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pushing past the heel pain...

Saturday, August 22, 2015
Maybe I am getting just a little old.  Only just a little, though.
Friday had been a pretty tough one on the body.  I woke up Saturday knowing I’d be spending time working at Mimi’s and then heading for Savannah’s for some painting.  Somewhere in there I wanted to do a workout, as well.  That’s what my head said.  My body had different plans.
I made it to Mimi’s and after an hour of whacking away at two mostly dead bushes the size of small trees and hauling my cuttings into the woods, I pulled out the 24-foot extension ladder and pushed it to its top, safe, usable height to scrape paint from the overhang on the back of the house.  For the next three hours I scraped, moved the ladder, and scraped some more.  I have found that more than any other single activity; time on a ladder causes me the most pain in my heel.  When I descended for the final time, my heel was throbbing and thoughts of painting at Savannah’s were fading.
I called her and found out thankfully, that her brother had not finished plastering the ceilings and so they weren’t ready for the painter.  Instead, I made my way to the park and even though my heel was quite sore, sucked it up and strapped on the pack.  An hour later I was back at the car, pleased that I’d gotten in something that would help me in the climbs and hikes to come during my September Adirondack trips.
Hike Duration: One hour
Training Heart Rate: 110 bpm.

Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment