Wednesday, August 19, 2015

"Wish I were climbing South Sister..."

Monday, August 17, 2015

I find my heel getting progressively worse…again.  Two cortisone shots and no better.  I’ll be contacting Doc Mendeszoon again because we need a solution for my long-term goals of walking the Continental Divide.  Or I could just whine about it with each step.

The heat and humidity continued to play a role in how I felt.  I tried drinking copious amounts of water, what an interesting concept and something I think I invented, but by the time I arrived at the park to hike, I was feeling depleted and unenthusiastic.  My friend Kathy was visiting her daughter in Portland and would be climbing South Sister Mt., which is a 12-mile hike with a 4,900 foot elevation gain and topping out at 10,400 feet and I was thinking of bagging this simple workout?  Couldn’t do it.

I started with a set of 80 step-ups with my forty-pound pack on my back and again felt the twinge in my hip I’d been feeling when walking around Cleveland the day before.  I decided to forget the step-ups, but do the hike. 

Dakota was walking slowly and for good reason.  It was close to 90 and probably near 100% humidity.  Sweat was streaming from my face and landing on my shoes.  I did have the foresight to bring my Nalgene bottle and was drinking regularly.  We made it an hour before returning to the car soaked, but pleased I hadn’t been a big weenie.  I’m sure you’ve completed your climb by the time you read this Kathy, so try not to hold me in the low regard I deserve.  I’ll get pushing the envelope soon.

Hike Duration: One hour
Training Heart Rate: 100-110 bpm.
Calories burned: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment