Friday, August 28, 2015

The return of the kidney stones...

Wednesday, August 26, 2015
A little over a year ago, I was in the Adirondacks on Cranberry Lake with my cousin Donnie.  We were camping on Joe Indian Island and I was sleeping reasonably comfortably in my tent when I woke with back discomfort.  I climbed out of the tent and went for a walk to try and loosen it up, but it continued to get worse.  Then it dawned on me.  I knew this pain, but had tried to erase it from my memory in the hope that it would never visit me again…but it was…and it was a kidney stone.  I woke Donnie, explained the situation and an hour later we were back at the cars and driving to the nearest hospital sixty miles away in Potsdam.  After finding I was seriously dehydrated and my kidneys were in distress, I was eased close to unconsciousness with some wonderful drugs.  I drove home the next day, but was soon in the hospital again and suffered horribly for three days before the surgeon came in and took it out. 
And now I was lying in bed at two in the morning and feeling that horrible pain returning.  I knew from the last CT scan a year ago that I still had three stones in my right kidney.  “They could stay put forever and not give you any problems or they could start moving next week,” the surgeon had told me.  I voted for staying put forever.
By three I was in full pain and panic mode.  I threw up once and knew things were going to get really bad really fast.  I was hoping to make it until 8 a.m. so that I could try to get in to see the Urologist instead of the Emergency Room and texted Cecilia and Holly for my support team.
Holly tried to doctor’s office at eight, but the best they could do was an appointment for 3:30 p.m.  “Let’s go to the ER,” I said.  The pain was becoming unbearable. 
I had Holly pull over on the short drive to the ER so I could throw up again.  She had volunteered her quickly emptied lunch box as a catch basin, but I was pretty sure the side of the road would be a better choice.  I was checked in quickly and had some good drugs pulsing through my system within the hour.  The nurse poked three holes in my arms trying to get some blood for analysis, but with no luck.  An expert came in and I was flowing freely when he located the correct spot.  I don’t really care about the holes…I was in too much pain from the stones to notice her using me for acupuncture practice, but if they’re incompetent in the area of drawing blood, I’m surprised they let them do it.  If she needed practice, she certainly got some on me.
I waited a couple of hours for the CT scan results and when they finally arrived the doctor came in to give me the verdict.
“Your stone is small, about 3 millimeters, and it’s low so you should be able to pass it on your own,” he said.
“Thirty millimeters sounds big to me though I’m kind of an inches and feet guy, doc, and I’m not going home without some amazing drugs to keep me from slamming my head into my concrete laundry room floor,” I said.
“That was THREE millimeters…not thirty, and yes, we’ll give you something pretty strong,” he said.  And then he was gone.

We stopped at the drug store to pick up the chemicals I’d need to survive the passing and headed home.  I had something to eat so the pills wouldn’t eat holes in my stomach and lay down after Cecilia left.  I fell asleep quickly and did not exercise for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment