Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Problems staying on task...

Saturday, September 4, 2010

I NEED to run. There is something so simple to doing it that keeps me on my regimen… and it’s missing now. No matter what happens throughout the day…weather issues, drop-in company, an unusual but necessary task…all these things get in the way of a ride or some workout that requires me to be somewhere at a particular time. Running though…I just do it whenever and wherever. How I miss its simplicity.

Some old friends from out of town stopped in Saturday morning and once we get going a lot of time can slip by. I was thinking I’d do a ride, but time was running short and I knew I wouldn’t make it before family dinner. Instead, I decided to go to the park and just do a hike with Dakota. Savannah joined me, but since I was unable to strap on the pack due to hip pain, it wasn’t too strenuous…and I like strenuous. We had about an hour before dinner and we used every minute, but I knew I hadn’t burned enough calories for what was coming.

Dinner was a tuna noodle casserole, which I love and, consequently, always overeat. I’d been to the grocery store to pick up ice cream for dessert and to my great caloric misfortune, found Pierre’s was running a special – 3 quarts for $10 (they usually run around $5 per). I cannot pass up such a bargain and bought one each of cookies and cream, butter pecan, and vanilla with bean specks.

Once you have them all and are pulling them out to serve your guests, it quite naturally follows that you must taste some of each. I did my part and they were all great. I had a little pinole with it…you know…to make it a healthy dessert, but I’d gotten into some bad habits when I could run every day and now they’re coming back to haunt me.

Excess calories aside though, it was a wonderful day. I got to visit with great friends, write up a program for one of them to run their first 5K in six weeks, and later watch my children sitting around the kitchen table with their grandparents looking through old pictures and scrap books and laughing and enjoying each others company. It doesn’t get any better than that.

Hike duration: 50 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 75.
Calories burned during workout: 350.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, miss Running. It's been too long since I've had some serious alone time with Running...

    ReplyDelete