Friday, September 3, 2010

A stab at running...

Thursday, September 02, 2010

It was time to try something other than cycling and I knew it. I had to find out if I my hip was getting any better, but I had to do it without running. When designing off-season running programs for distance runners, I always ease them back into speed work by having them spend time running hill repeats. This allows them to get in some lactic acid training (high intensity work) without the injury risks that are associated with speed work. Going uphill means going slower with less pounding to the body. Since it was the pounding that I was worried about, what’s good for the goose…

I headed for the Mayfield football stadium for a few sets of bleachers. Not quite the same as hill running, but I could get a great workout without running…and that was my goal. When I pulled into the parking lot only to find it rather full, I knew something was up. There was…JV football in the stadium and I was thinking not too many of the spectators would be thrilled with me running up and down the stands and blocking their view. I turned around and headed for the park.

I knew the hill I wanted to work. It was the steepest in the park…for those of you familiar with North Chagrin Reservation, I’m talking about the bridle trail paralleling the Ox Lane Hill. My plan was just a slow jog up and maybe five repeats – walking back down to avoid too much pounding. I parked my car and walked briskly to the base in about 10 minutes and went immediately into a jog up the hill. It took about 75 seconds to reach the top and I had a nice heart rate going and sweat flowing. It was so good to be doing something that wasn’t cycling and a lot like running again.

I returned to the bottom for my second repeat and noticed a couple of walkers beginning to ascend. I could tell they thought there was something seriously wrong with me when I turned and headed back up. “I forgot something up there,” I said as I passed them. They laughed politely.

When I’d completed my fourth with little trouble, I knew I’d be doing more than five. I wanted to get in at least ten minutes of jogging, so I figured eight repeats ought to do it. The seventh seemed to last forever and the hill was definitely getting longer and steeper…but I’d committed to eight and I was determined to finish…standing…puking maybe…but standing.

I went for the eighth sucking eggs and hoping the hip wouldn’t start hurting…my biggest concern. I crested the hill on wobbly legs, but happy to have met the challenge and with the hip intact. I walked slowly back to the car and felt a slight twinge in the hip. It was not okay and I’d done too much, but at least I’d gotten my answer…I was still a long way from running again.

Run/walk duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 150 on the uphills.
Calories burned during workout: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment