Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tomorrow...I'll get it back in gear for sure.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My first day back to work was a drag. I couldn’t help but slip mentally back to the Adirondacks, particularly since my screen saver was a beautiful shot from the summit of Rocky Peak Ridge. I found out that Reza and I had nearly run into each other over the weekend. He’d decided to return to the mountains to show his girlfriend how fantastic they are. They took advantage of the bunk house at the ADK LOJ and did two day hikes from there. They did climb Mt. Marcy, New York’s tallest peak at 5,344 feet. It’s a great climb, but also quite popular. The two times I’ve climbed it, I’ve found myself surrounded by 30 or more other hikers. I suppose I had to do it, but I prefer to go to peaks where I’m likely to be alone…which is most of the other peaks in the region.

Reza made an interesting observation. He said his girlfriend was not in shape to climb aggressively, but they took their time and eventually completed the job. I’d done the same with my cousin when we climbed Mt. Van Hoevenburg. There are so many fabulous trails and peaks to climb in the region and, if you take it at a pace that fits your level of conditioning, there is no reason you can’t enjoy the vistas. I feel good knowing that Reza was impressed enough with our trip to return so quickly.

By day’s end, my funk was so overwhelming that I decided to forego a workout. Instead, I came home, mowed the grass I’d been ignoring for a couple of weeks, played some Frisbee with Jack and then lounged around for the rest of the night. Actually, I was really pretty tired…I think all the missed sleep was catching up to me…and turned in early. Tomorrow is another day and I’ll get my butt back in gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment