Thursday, September 2, 2010

Was that a camel?

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

The eye doc is a little concerned that the infection keeps returning, but for now, recommended we stick with the steroid drops. I’m hoping they have a little HGH in them and that I’ll climb like a maniac when John and I head into the Adirondacks in two weeks. I’m putting the drops in four times a day and the doc recommends that I keep the contacts out except when training…since I can’t see any other way.

I jumped on the bike when I got home, but only had a little over an hour since Holly was on her way home and we were planning on seeing a movie. I’d like to say that since I was riding shorter, I put more intensity into it, but I didn’t. The wind was blowing pretty hard and it was sapping my desire to push. It has a way of discouraging me since I know I can’t turn in fast time when it’s constantly in my face…which it is. Seems like it should be a tail wind on the way back if it was a head wind on the way out, but for some reason…it’s always a head wind. I don’t know.

I’ve had some unusual animal experiences on my last couple of rides. Two days ago, I was riding through Chesterland and past a large farm when I noticed a large lama off in the distance. Upon closer inspection, I realized it wasn’t a lama after all, but a camel. One hump only…but definitely a camel. I was a couple of hundred yards away, but could smell it none the less. I’ve worked on a horse farm and know how they smell…this was different and not in a pleasant way.

Then on yesterday’s ride, I was heading down Dodd Road in Willoughby Hills when I noticed a ground hog on the side of the road. He noticed me, too, but that didn’t seem to concern him in any way so he headed across the road and directly in my path. These aren’t the brightest rodents on the planet, though they seem to have more sense than a squirrel about approaching vehicles, but not my ground hog. He tried to speed up to avoid the inevitable collision, but…man…do they have tiny legs. I ran right over him…both tires…there was little I could do to avoid him. I was sure I’d caused some major damage, but when I turned to look, he was still running and had entered the grass on the far side. I guess he’s lucky I’ve lost weight.

I finished the shortened ride only to find that Holly wasn’t home and wouldn’t get there for another hour. No movie and I shortened my ride for no reason. Rats. Tomorrow…for sure to the bleachers. I want to test the hip…just a little.

Bike duration: One hour and 15 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120.
Calories burned during workout: 1,100.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen that Camel too! On Battles road right?

    ...I almost crashed because I was so busy looking at it.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete