Thursday, September 16, 2010

Too sick to participate...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I’ve been fighting a cold for the last two days and it seems that I’ve lost. It started with the sore throat I always get when I go backpacking…sleeping outside in the cold seems to do that, but I can usually wipe that out with some well-timed Hall’s throat lozenges. I took that approach Tuesday night and added some hot tea with honey, sure that I would wake the next morning ready to go. I didn’t.

I popped Hall’s all day and drank more tea and honey, but by day’s end, was going down hill. I was sneezing, had a raw throat and cold, and a headache, as well. I went to Kent to visit with Heidi since I would be gone over the weekend. We ate dinner and sat to watch a movie, but I was struggling to stay awake. At this point I knew there would be no bleacher workout when I returned home…more likely I’d be heading for bed and hopefully enough rest to keep the cold from getting any worse.

Well…no reason for Ash not to work out. I was going to take her to the track and put her through a combination bleacher and track workout, but she elected to try running around the block…which is a little over a mile. “See how slow you can run,” I told her. She was unable to run far on her first outing and I suspect she’d gone out too fast. She headed out the door determined to improve on the last run.

She returned in about 15 minutes huffing and puffing…and sweating. “I ran most of the way,” she said excitedly. I hadn’t gotten a chance to give her the step test, but I want to get that done soon so she has a baseline and something to compare to once she’s put in about four weeks of running.

I suppose if I can’t run I’ll live vicariously through her. Since I push myself pretty hard, I suppose I ought to do that to her. Lucky girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment