Wednesday, September 1, 2010

When all else fails...watch a good movie.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My body is deserting me. I was working in the office earlier in the day when my eye infection returned with a vengeance. It had flared up twice over the last month and both times I had applied the steroid drops my brother-in-law and optometrist had prescribed. It had done the trick, but why was the infection returning? Anyway, I headed for home, took out my contacts, applied the drops and lay down to alleviate the burning. My hopes for a workout were fading fast since I was left with only biking and I can’t ride worth a damn with my glasses on. I tend to sweat too much to be able to see clearly through them about 10 minutes into a ride and with the temperature hovering around 90 again…well…I’d need wipers to see.

When faced with this type of adversity, I figure there’s only one good thing to do…watch a great movie. My neighbor has been waiting for me to watch ‘Jeremiah Johnson’ with him on his 54” HD, all the whistles and bells, system so I told him I’d be over. He offered snacks and beverages, but I stuck to diet Coke. The movie is one of my all-time favorites for the story line (I always wanted to be a mountain man) and the beauty of the scenery. Redford does an admirable job as a man longing to escape the problems he faced living in the civilized world of the late 1840’s for the simple, but rugged struggle for survival in the Rocky Mountains. He trades whatever those problems were for new ones, but I think he would say that a bad day in the Rockies is better than a good day anywhere else…and I think I’d agree.

I’m hoping to get back to the bike tomorrow. If not that, then maybe a late night at the bleachers doing repeats without the pack. Maybe both since I missed a workout.

1 comment:

  1. I think that answers my question. I always wondered how a person who sweats buckets (as you say) can keep the sweat off his biking shades/glasses on those long rides. Turns out,seems you go without eye protection. Ouch. But if you can handle it, congrats. Could it be you are getting dirt in your eyes during your biking that is causing an infection, or is that more of a contact lense thing.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete