Thursday, March 10, 2011

New idea for a triathlon...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I received and interesting comment on the blog the other day. The ‘Postman’ is one of my regulars and an old high school buddy now living in Florida. On a visit last fall, he and I made our way to Slyman’s for some over eating and then later met at the Metropark so he could go through a workout with me and see the haunts he’d been reading about. His comment followed a story I’d written about getting ready for this year’s birthday triathlon…something he believes I can handle easily if I follow last year’s format and add a ‘1’ to each distance. He wants me to incorporate more of what I’ve been doing over the last month.

“Get even more in touch with nature. Perhaps you should run after a deer for 56 minutes with a bonus if you rip off one of its antlers or time off if you can touch one. From there…swim with the beavers for 56 minutes and then cap it off with a ride on a ground surveillance eagle stalking mountain bike,” he wrote. These are all excellent ideas, Postman, but there are some issues. In all likelihood, the antlers will have fallen by April 18th…my birthday…so I won’t have the opportunity to actually rip them from the head of a deer (otherwise I’d be all over that most excellent idea). Swimming with the beavers could be interesting except that the water is so shallow in the masrh that I’d have trouble with the flip turns in trying to keep with them and…as you are well aware…you CANNOT ride a mountain bike…even one especially equipped to mount surveillance on eagles at the marsh…off-trail in the Metroparks.

In the famous words of the Sundance Kid…”you just keep thinking Postman, that’s what you’re good at…”

I hate cold, wet, rainy days (as opposed to ‘dry’ rainy days) and when they happen…I head inside. I could have run, but I’m sticking to every other day for a while and besides, the trails are truly underwater. I went home and climbed on the trainer for a ride and an episode of ‘Lost’ before church and ashes on the forehead. I figured I could get in an hour ride, but that wasn’t allowing for Holly’s making a dinner and eating it first. She stuck her head in the office to notify me that we’d be eating in 10 minutes, which meant I’d only get in a forty-minute ride and, more importantly, not be able to finish the episode I’d started. I know better than to be late for dinner though, so I cut the ride short. I hate to miss the training time…especially now that I have ‘Postman’ working on alternative events for my birthday triathlon.

Bike duration: 45 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 675.

No comments:

Post a Comment