Sunday, March 6, 2011

Training for the birthday triathlon begins...

Saturday, March 5, 2011

With my birthday a little less than six weeks away, I guess it’s time to get serious about the training for the second annual birthday triathlon. Last year, you may recall, I was scheduled for a 55 minute kayak trip, 55 mile bike ride and a 5.5 mile run. I completed the kayak and the run, but was stymied by the snow falling and opted not to do the bike ride until later…which ended up being like a month later.

This year it will be a 5.6 mile kayak trip (hard to measure, but I’ll be out there for a couple of hours), 56 minute run and, weather permitting…a 56 mile ride. John is supposed to join me…he’s younger and should be able to handle everything well…if he does some training. He came for last year’s ride, agreed that we shouldn’t ride in the snow…then complained to anyone who would listen that I’d wussed out on the bike. Well…he’s my best friend and training partner…and that’s what they’re for.

Anyway, I started the morning with a 70-minute bike ride. It was just long enough to finish season three of ‘Lost’. Since I picked up the final season from the Library, I kind of want to ride a lot and get through seasons four and five so I can refresh my memory on all the twists and turns. I’ve been wondering if I should make a pitch to the producers of the ‘Avengers’ movie, which will be filmed partially in Cleveland…if they’d like to have another arch villain – a guy that looks a lot like John Locke…though maybe a touch more handsome and manly and is a native of the area…in their film. I think it’s a good idea…for whatever that’s worth.

I hit the Metroparks for a 45-minute hike/antler search later in the day, but came up empty again. It was a balmy 50 degrees and most of the snow was gone, though I’m not sure if that makes it better or worse to spot the things. They show up pretty nicely against the snow and would likely blend in with the sticks when the snow is gone…but I won’t know for sure until I see one.

Tomorrow I’ll try to begin with the bike/run doubles. I want to be ready for birthday 56.

Hike duration: 45 minutes. Bike duration: 70 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 90 bpm hiking, 130 bpm biking.
Calories burned during workout: 225 hiking. 1,050 biking.

1 comment:

  1. You are already in shape for your birthday "tri" Especially if you are using last years criteria plus one.I suggest that Maybe you step it up a notch this year. Get even more in touch with nature. Perhaps you should run after a deer for 56 minutes,(bonus if you rip the antlers off any), swim with your beavers for 56 minutes, (if you touch one sooner, you get time off), then cap it off with a ground surveilance/ mountain biking eagle stalking (try to stay underneath it or as close as you can for 56 minutes), Or something like that.

    Anonymous Postman

    ReplyDelete