Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Strange ideas on fatherhood...

Monday, March 28, 2011

I guess I was making so much noise as I slept; Holly elected to sleep in Savannah’s room. My cold was keeping even me awake and the Hall’s were having little effect. I finally gave up around 7 a.m. and got up. The oatmeal breakfast helped, but I knew it would be a long day.

I saw this really bazaar story in the PD the other day and was so shocked that I feel the need to pass it along. Seems that this dad has some pretty mixed up ideas about what’s important in raising a child. The boy was only 10 years old, but dad thought he had to “get his colors in the 21st Killas gang” so he brought him along with 6 other gang members as they sought out and then beat a random victim nearly to death. The victim was a father of three and was just walking in his neighborhood when the gang struck. They put him in the hospital unconscious and suffering from severe head wounds. I suppose I shouldn’t judge…Lord knows I’ve done some things to damage the psyche of my kids for the remainder of their lives, but what in God’s name are some people thinking? I remember seeing the movie ‘Parenthood’ many years ago and thinking how well it depicted some of the struggles of being a parent. I particularly liked what Keanu Reeves’ character had to say to the mother of her psychologically-abused son by her ex-husband, “you know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father.” If ever a quote fit a situation…

I came home, had some soup and wrestled with the idea of riding the bike on the trainer. I didn’t wrestle long because I fell asleep in a chair…fortunately after I’d finished the soup. Exercise was out…and so was I…so when I woke, I just moseyed up to bed and called it a night hoping 12 hours in the sack might make me feel more human tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment