Friday, March 4, 2011

Shocker...too much money spent by County officials.

Thursday, March 3, 2011

I’m really starting to like Ed FitzGerald, the new County Executive whose job it is to clean up corruption in county government and attempt to re-establish public trust in the folks running Cuyahoga County. I suspect the longer he’s there and the more he digs…the more bodies will come to the surface. Yesterday, the PD featured a story about cost overruns for the new Juvenile Justice Center specifically targeting the purchase of a $23,000 custom conference table, $1,000 desk chairs and credenzas for $3,350. Not only do I not have a $3,350 credenza…I don’t even know what it is. Holly said it’s the desk behind a desk for storing crap you can’t fit on your desk. Excellent.

“I haven’t seen prices that high since the ‘Antiques Roadshow,’” FitzGerald said. “Some of the purchases are indefensible.” Some of them? They purchased 31 coffee makers for $120 apiece. I’m thinking if I was purchasing 31 of any appliance, I’d be beating the price down…not jacking it up.

And here’s a surprise…no one’s responsible. Court officials say they didn’t select the items trying… to lay the blame on the former commissioners who they say, approved the purchases. The former County Administrator said “nope…the court folks made the decisions,” or words to that effect. It’s great to know that they’ve built in three jury boxes and deliberation rooms for an operation that has had only one jury trial in the last five years, as well. Isn’t that called building the church for Easter Sunday…no wait a minute – that’s what you’re NOT supposed to do.

Oh…and guess who pays for all of this? No big surprise there. Still, I like our chances in the future with Ed. His final word on the subject was “we gotta get to the bottom of this because justice is not going to be improved by a $1,200 chair.” Maybe not…but somebody’s ass should be pretty comfortable.

Yeah, yeah…I did it again. Spent two hours traipsing back and forth through areas of the park where some 30 deer or more bed down each night…and I didn’t find one antler. I mean…I was sure I’d find one so my disappointment ran high…and I kind of ran in circles. I kept my nose to the ground and crossed over a couple of streams and got to the point where I didn’t know which way I was heading. Dark was setting in and so I did the easy thing…followed a ridgeline up until I hit a trail. I’ll give it a couple of more days, but I think they’re either gone or the park is just too damned big.

Hike duration: 2 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 90 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment