Thursday, May 10, 2012

"All eyeballs are the same size..."

Wednesday, May 9, 2012
 “Did you know that every eyeball in the world is the exact same size?  My health teacher told us…so it’s true,” Jackie announced to Holly and me over dinner at Bob Evans

“I’m finding that a little hard to believe,” I said.

“Maybe she’s mixing that up with what I heard…which is your eyeball never grows.  It’s the same size when you’re a baby as it is when you’re fully grown,” Holly adds.

And this is how the deep, thought provoking conversations go when two or more Rolfs gather for a meal.  Jackie…after further questioning…admitted to making that little factoid up, but he’s had ones like that before so you never know.  Holly, on the other hand, was standing by hers.  I suppose it could be true, but I was struggling with how the measure the dimension of a baby’s eyeball in the first place.  I guess I just wasn’t that interested to pursue it further.

We’d decided on Bob Evans for dinner because Jackie had just had his teeth examined and having perfect teeth seemed to him like a fine reason to take him out for his favorite meal…chicken fingers, fries, mashed potatoes and gravy all washed down with a strawberry banana smoothie.  I was planning on a perfect Paleo dinner…a spinach salad with baked chicken breast…but ended up with a decent omelet instead.

I left Bob Evans and further intellectual stimulation from Jackie to drive to Brunswick High School where I was going to watch a conference track meet.  I was particularly interested in the girl’s 1600 where two of Ohio’s best; Anna Boyert and Theresa Heiss would be competing.  It was a very windy day and Anna chose to take it out hard, cruising through 800 meters in a blazing 2:23.  Her opponent waited wisely behind, allowing Anna to do the work into the wind.  She moved past Anna on the fourth and final lap and simply ran away.  She clocked the fastest time in the state this year by over 7 seconds, finishing in 4:50 and clearly making her the favorite for the state championship in three weeks…and I’ll be there, as always.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment