Friday, May 11, 2012

Feeling fast and fit...

Thursday, May 10 2012
My run eight days ago had really encouraged me.  On that day, I’d tried out the minimalist shoes again and taken off on my short, Clear Creek course that winds through the woods to Squires Castle and returns.  I’d done that run in…around four miles…57 seconds off my pr.  Since then, I’d run one more time…an hour…in those same shoes.  My feet were sore from the lack of cushioning, but I’d felt good again and was looking for a test of my fitness.

I arrived at the park with the sole purpose of cracking my pr.  It would mean starting fast and pushing the entire route.  I’d set the pr last fall when I was as lean as I’ve been in 20 years and quite fit.  Now…I was probably up a few pounds and six months older.  I’d only been running a couple of times a week and doing no speed work to make me faster.  Still…I was pretty sure I could go faster and in my experience, I’ve always been able to do what I’ve told myself I can do.

I hit my first half mile running smoothly and 12 seconds faster than I had a week ago.  It was cool and crisp and although I was laboring, I felt strong.  My course has a short stretch through the woods on a deer trail, across River Road and up a short, steep hill to a bluff overlooking the Chagrin River before descending again down the sled riding hill.  This segment challenges me when I’m trying to run fast because of the twists and turns through the woods and the steep hills. 

I pushed hard through this segment, knowing that I’d be retracing these steps and doing it again in less than 10 minutes.  When I got back to this point on the way back, the pace was taking its toll and I was struggling to hold it.  I recrossed Clear Creek…splashing through the water…but still feeling like I could break my pr if I kept holding on.  I ran hard over the final half mile…not sprinting for fear of hurting my calf…but certainly picking it up.  I hit my watch and was pleased to see I’d crushed my course pr having run 28:42 or a minute and 13 seconds faster than I’d ever done it before.  Checking my pulse at the conclusion, I found that it was over 160 beats per minute or more than 20 beats higher than my normal running pace.

For me, it is nothing more than a fitness assessment.  I’m not trying to run fast right now, but it is good to know that I’m in better shape than I was last fall when I believed I was in the best shape of my life.  I owe it partially to the winter that never really happened since I was able to do many long distance rides throughout the winter months when I’d normally be inside.  I’d also stuck to the Paleo Diet throughout the holidays…with some exceptions…and managed to keep the weight gain for the winter reasonable.  I still haven’t been on a scale…but the run shows me something a scale can’t…and I like what it’s showing me.

Run Duration:  29 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 160 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment