Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Final preparations...

Wednesday. May 16, 2012
Holly and I were discussing my coming trip to the Adirondacks on our hike in the Metroparks.  She really misses me when I’m gone and it makes me feel so good.

“You might want to put a note on the board that you’re camping.  Otherwise, I might think you’re working late when you don’t come home for three days,” she said.

I mean…she’ll be distraught without me around.  Anyway, we hiked for a little over an hour.  I decided that I’m ready and further exercise would just be me being compulsive.  I could feel the fatigue in my legs as we hiked up a couple of the small hills we faced…and that’s a sign that a rest is in order.  Friday should be a killer.  I’m planning on sleeping at the trailhead after a nine-hour drive Thursday night and hiking in with a 40-pound pack the 7 miles to the camp site.  I’ll drop the pack and immediately head for the trail that leads to the peak of Allen Mountain.  It’s 4,340 feet high, but is reached on an unmarked herd path, which usually means it’s harder to find and more difficult to climb.  The guide book says to allow four hours to summit and return to the trailhead, meaning I’ll be on the trail for eight hours and have covered about 15 miles of rugged trails before the day is over.

This will be the last posting until early next week.  I hope to be fitter, leaner and have knocked off three more of New York’s 46 peaks over 4,000 feet by the time I return.

Hike Duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 80 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 300.

No comments:

Post a Comment