Thursday, May 3, 2012

Balancing Get-way with Fitness Program

Sunday, April 29, 2012
Holly and I were heading for the Red Maple Inn for our anniversary get-away a little after the fact.  December 20th had marked 36 years for us, but the holiday season put it on hold.  Anyway, we were going to be leading a life of relative leisure for the next few days…and that always concerns me.  It’s hard for me to schedule time off.  I’ll take it when I’m hurt and sometimes just because my head isn’t in it…but scheduled days off are hard to bear.  Well…we weren’t leaving until the afternoon, so I made my way to the Metropark by 8 a.m. and put myself through a grueling Survival Workout.  I spent extra time with some new core strengthening exercises, and have changed the course I follow around some so as to put my different exercises closer together.  I end up doing the same amount of sets…but in less time…and thus increasing the intensity.  It’s working.

We headed out in the early afternoon, but stopped for a lunch/dinner at the Chesterland Tavern.  I started to order a half-pound Angus burger…completely fat…until I heard that one of the specials was a barbequed half chicken.  Perfect.  We went to Punderson State Park and hiked the trails for an hour before finally making our way to the Red Maple Inn.  I was determined to help Holly with her program by insisting we hike as often as possible.

By the way, if you’re going to the Red Maple Inn and want to lose some weight at the same time, do NOT go back to the check-in desk in the afternoon.  They will have homemade cookies setting on the counter and…if you’re anything like me…you’ll eat two…or eight.  Good thing I hiked and did a Survival Workout.

Hike duration: 60 minutes.  Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  75 hiking and 100-150 for SW.
Calories burned during workout:  300 hiking and 600 for SW.

No comments:

Post a Comment