Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A long, sweaty run...

Monday, May 7, 2012

 I went to the park with the intention of doing a 30-minute run in my minimalist shoes and then tackling the Survival Workout.  I’ve tried doing it the other way around, but always find myself too spent to run after the workout.

It had been raining off and on throughout the day and the temperature was in the low 70’s.  The sun had broken out recently and was turning the woods into a sauna.  It’s been some time since I’ve done much running in these conditions…ones I hate because of how much they make me sweat…and wasn’t looking forward to it.  I started slowly, telling myself to just get through it and then pound the workout.

After 10 minutes of rather effortless running, I decided to crank it up a notch and stretch the run to 40 minutes.  I turned off on a trail that would add 10 minutes, but when I reached the top of a tough climb and was still feeling good, decided to go even further.  By the 50-minute mark I knew I’d be doing an hour and had concerns over what shape my feet would be in the next day.  The minimalist shoe does not provide near the cushion in the heel as a traditional running shoe and if I was heel-striking, they’d be sore tomorrow.  They were getting rather squishy, too…a result of sweat pouring off my body and landing on them.  This is the perfect combination for blisters…something I always want to avoid, but particularly when planning a trip to the Adirondacks where foot care is essential.

I made a detour as I reached the bottom of a hill and jogged the short distance to Clear Creek.  Once there, I stripped off my shirt and dunked it in the chilling water…deciding I wasn’t ready for full submersion yet.  I used the shirt to cool my head, which was surely beet red.  After cooling down in this fashion for a couple of minutes, I completed the remainder of the 1-hour run.  I couldn’t stop sweating as I walked the trail for the next ten minutes and finally climbed into the car, providing protection to the seat from my sweaty body with three rag towels I had there for that purpose.

My feet felt fine throughout the run and the calf seems to be completely healed again…though the true test will be running back to back days.  I skipped the Survival Workout for the run, but right now I’m concerned more with strengthening my endurance.  Ten-hour days on the trails of the Adirondacks requires more of this endurance-type training and I like to be prepared.

Dinner was quite Paleo.  I had a smoothie to go with a large piece of baked salmon.  I don’t think I’m dropping weight yet, but I know I will as the weather continues to heat up and I can do more long rides while sticking more closely to Paleo principles.  

Run Duration:  60 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.

Calories burned during workout: 1020.

No comments:

Post a Comment