Saturday, May 5, 2012

Intense Survival Workout


Thursday, May 3, 2012


I started my Survival Workout thinking I’d finish quickly and get back home for a bike ride.  After hitting a couple of stations and noting the time, I realized that the ride would have to be real short…and I don’t like short rides.  I decided instead to up the intensity of the Survival Workout by adding more sets at all the different stations.  It would turn out to be a mistake of sorts.

I added an extra set of push-ups at my first station and with the Adirondacks trip coming fast, I elected to put some hill climbing in, as well.  I managed three good ones, plugged in a couple of extra trips up the swing set pole and by the time I’d reached the car, I’d managed to do 23 sets of various exercises…which is about eight more than I average. 

My arms were trembling as I climbed in the car and tried to fix the key into the ignition.  If you’ve ever had a blowout workout session, you know this feeling.  When I had hair, I’d know I’d done one if I had difficulty combing it after showering.  It was one of those.  I got home and tried to make a smoothie…food had no appeal.  My arms continued to shake and I suffered from exercise-induced nausea for the remainder of the evening and never did eat any dinner.  Though it mildly uncomfortable, it’s a good feeling, as well.  There was no doubt in my mind that I’d maxed out…and would gain improvements from such an occasional workout.

Survival Workout: 75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  750.

No comments:

Post a Comment