Sunday, November 22, 2015

Leaves, a Survival Workout, and a disturbing movie...

Saturday, November 21, 2015
I looked out my bedroom window and saw something white on the ground below.  Damn – snow!

Driving to Mimi’s I knew my workload had just tripled.  What leaves were left in her yard would now be completely wet and of course, heavy.  I had to get them done though and resigned myself to making it part of a tough workout day.
I raked the remaining leaves into about 10 small piles and grabbed my 20’ by 12’ tarp.  I’d been concerned when it was still in the package that it would not be big enough to move leaves, but it was more than adequate.  By the time I’d put half the leaves on it and began the long haul with the tarp to the woods out back, I knew I’d overloaded. 
With probably 100 pounds of leaves and sticks, I puffed and huffed my way up the sloping front yard, past the house and finally through the woods to the leaf pile I’d built over the last couple of weeks.  I’d had to stop and catch my breath a little beyond half way, which told me something about the size of the load.  I returned empty and reloaded the remaining leaves and the piles of downed branches and as I began to pull that load, realized I may have added the proverbial ‘straw’.  Three stops and ten minutes later with my heart pounding around 160 beats per minute, I pulled the pile to the top of Leaf Mountain and emptied the tarp.  Done for the season and without suffering from a heart attack.  It was a very good workout.
I left Mimi’s and drove to Donnas’ place in Painesville to determine the scope of work for replacing a door on the back of her garage.  I was supposed to meet my new movie-going friend, Sarah, to see ‘The Intern’ starring Robert DiNiro, so I knew time was limited if I wanted to get in a workout.  I opted to drive straight from the job site to the park and do the workout in whatever gear I could find in the Jeep.
I wasn’t sure what to expect from myself for the workout.  I hadn’t done a good Survival Workout in several weeks and that would surely mean some loss in the reps I could handle.  As always, I began with push-ups, but only managed 73.  I was way down.  I followed with crunches, pull-ups (10), dips and biceps curls with a heavy rock.  I headed down the trail aware that I was at least 20% off on everything.
It remained that way and got worse.  Where I would normally hit my second set of push-ups at around 60, I struggled to reach 40.  My third set was only 25 and as I returned to the Jeep with 17 sets of various exercises in, I knew just how much I’d lost.  It didn’t bother me, though, but in fact, motivated.  I knew I’d be sore the next day, but so what?  I’ve missed my workouts and writing about them and this was an excellent kick in the ass. 
I arrived late to the movies, but Sarah had grabbed tickets to ‘Spotlight’, which was really our first choice.  It is the story of the Boston Globe’s breaking of the Catholic Church’s efforts to conceal the extent of the heinous actions of priests who had molested children in their parishes.  Sadly, it involved 70 priests in the Boston diocese and happened with the knowledge of Cardinal Law and the hierarchy of the entire church.   A very disturbing movie, it was extremely well done and completely thought provoking.  Sarah has an excellent mind and enjoys discussing content, as do I, so she is a perfect movie companion.  We went out afterwards to talk and for me to have my last solid, fatty food before beginning my clear liquids and laxative routine the following day.   
Survival Workout:  60 minutes
Training Heart Rate:  100-150 bpm.

Calories burned:  600

No comments:

Post a Comment