Sunday, November 22, 2015

Working harder on the bike...

Friday, November 20, 2015
Looking at the extended forecast, it appeared that snow and frozen ground was on the way.  I used to like such weather, but working in it on the farm has changed that somewhat.  The bitter cold of the previous winter had made my existence for the entire month of February a living hell.  It helped tremendously in propelling my thinking more towards retirement, how soon and what it might look like.  For now, it meant getting as many outdoor things done as I could before the ground became to frozen to work in.
I drove in more road markers for plowing and tried moving some dirt to fill holes in the service roads.  By day’s end, I’d had another reasonably physical day, but not nearly enough to call it a work out.  I headed for home thinking I’d get Dakota while Copper was visiting the neighbors and head up to the park for the first Survival Workout in a very long time.  As soon as I arrived and began to change however, my neighbor returned with Copper and the park workout was put on hold.  Instead, I went up to Red Box and grabbed the movie ‘The Water Diviner’ with Russell Crow, and headed back home for a ride and a movie.  At the 50-minute mark, I decided to check my training heart rate and was surprised to find it was speeding along at 135 beats per minute!  Normally I ride at around 120, so I can only surmise that I’ve gotten so out of shape that the simple ride was making me work harder, or I was riding harder than normal.  I made it to the one-hour mark on the trainer before deciding I’d had enough fun and dismounted.  The movie was good, but I decided I needed to have some dinner and get to bed since I had a big day coming for work at Mimi’s.  My stomach continued to bother me and so dinner amounted to some homemade chicken soup Kathy had given me.  I can’t remember ever looking forward to getting scoped before, but I’m surely anxious now.
Bike duration:  60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate:  135 bpm.

Calories burned during workout:  850.

No comments:

Post a Comment