Monday, July 26, 2010

Almost blew it off...

Saturday, July 24, 2010

I was headed for Colby’s graduation party and thinking about the trip we would all be taking to the Adirondacks in three weeks. Though I had not been able to get an absolute ‘yes’ from Don, I had confirmed with his wife, Rae, that he was, in fact, available for the trip on the scheduled dates. Colby had been much more excited than Don whose fear of heights and concern for Colby’s falling off a sheer cliff because he was daring and foolish, though without merit, were real.

“We won’t be using piton’s and hanging off the side of cliffs to climb these peaks, so I don’t think the height will bother you,” I told Don.

“Yeah? You don’t know Colby. He’s a daredevil. What if he twists an ankle on the trails walking in. What will Oregon say to that,” he asked.

“You can’t keep him in a plastic bubble. He could twist his ankle on any trail run in the Rocky River Reservation, but you don’t stop him from running there,” I said, knowing logic played no part in Don’s paranoia.

I saw Colby as soon as I arrived and asked him about the trip.

“Um…I might have a problem with that weekend. It’s our fantasy football draft,” he said sheepishly.

“Right…wait…what?”

Now…I’m not into the whole fantasy league thing, but I know many people who are and they are fanatics. I think some of them actually think they’re managing, owning and playing for the team they’ve selected and put more time and get more enjoyment from this than the actual playing of the major league teams. Losers. Colby made lame excuses about how big a deal it was…how they dress up for the occasion…and do weird, ritualistic, fantasy league stuff. Nerds. I mean…pass up a trip with...well…me…to the Adirondacks for a fantasy league draft? He’s seriously flawed and if he does come I may get up in the night and smear peanut butter on his sleeping bag. Bears love peanut butter…

It had been a terribly hot, busy Saturday and I’d never gotten the chance or had the desire to put in a workout. Somewhere in the back of my mind I’d told myself I’d stop at the park after the graduation party and run in the dark. Right.

I was driving home around 8:30 p.m. and the guilt was becoming unbearable. I’d eaten very little fat at the party and figured I could run…digestion nearly complete…and headed for the park. Thunderstorms had been rolling across Cleveland all afternoon and more were threatening. The air was so heavy with humidity that I could almost chew it. The sky had an eerie, orange glow reflecting from ominous storm clouds as I dressed for the run. Though it was light enough on the road, the canopy covering the trails made almost too dark to run. Almost.

I started out with limited vision…a good thing since the storms had deposited numerous branches along the bridle trails. It was too dark for hiking trails unless you were looking for a good place to fall…and I wasn’t. I ran about 20 minutes in semi-light conditions, but when I reached my turn-around at Squires Castle and headed back, it was almost completely black. I slowed my pace after tripping over…I don’t know what…but finished the run feeling good about getting it done. Though I’d only ran 35 minutes, I was so drenched in sweat from the extreme humidity, I felt like I’d gone an hour. The forecast was for cooler weather for the next two days – something I’m going to savor.

Run duration: 35 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140.
Calories burned during workout: 595.

No comments:

Post a Comment