Thursday, July 8, 2010

Like...ouch.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Yesterday’s workout was definitely a tough one, as my calves were attesting today. Walking up and down stairs was particularly meaningful bringing both fatigue and pain with every step. A good pain…the kind that says ‘you did a good workout, but you’re old and stupid…don’t do it again or you’re really going to be sorry’. That kind.

It was in the 90’s again, but I wanted to get in a run. Though definitely cooler in the park on the trails, I figured it would be too ugly for an hour run – so maybe I’d do 45 minutes. Once I got started though, it seemed pretty nice and the soreness I’d been feeling all day dissipated…for 15 minutes.

I started getting pain in my left calf around then and it was there with every step. It wasn’t the kind of pain that had kept me from running consistently over the last nine years, but I decided pretty quickly I wasn’t going to be taking unnecessary chances. I zigged where I normally zag and turned the run into a 30-minute job. When I arrived at the car, I was almost certain the pain I was feeling was from the bleacher steps the day before and wasn’t too worried, but not questioning the decision to stop short.

Maybe I’m getting smarter…maybe. It’s easy to get caught up in ‘the mileage game’. Too many runners feel like they have to put in a certain amount of miles and all too often, push beyond what they need…and what their bodies are telling them to do…to pile up junk miles to list in a log. I was one of ‘them’ once and hurt myself many times as a result. I don’t think I am anymore, and though I am pushing myself to do something every day, I do it with an ear to my body. If that is entirely true, there should be nothing posted for a workout for today. My legs are still killing me. Oh yeah…I could get the kayak out…

Run duration: 31 minutes.

Training Heart Rate: 140.

Calories burned during workout: 525.

No comments:

Post a Comment