Monday, July 19, 2010

Any response is a good response

Saturday, July 17, 2010

I’ve had responses to my stories before, but none quite like what I’ve heard since writing about Don Alexander’s penchant for never stopping during a run. My training partner and backpacking compatriot, John, was the first.

“A minute and 28 seconds is his peeing pr? What’s the big deal...I top that every time I go,” he said.

I said ‘sure you do’ and told him to go and call me back with the results. Two minutes later, my cell was ringing.

“Tell Don I did 45 seconds and I’d just gone two hours ago. I’m going to crush him,” he said. I love to get the competitive juices flowing (no pun here) and I’m all about goal setting, but this may be a bad trend.

Then Marie called. She’d been on her Saturday run earlier in the day and had felt the urge to stop and go, but Don’s story wouldn’t let her.

“I really had to go, but I remembered what Don had said and so I decided to hold it and train my bladder,” she said.

“Did you pee on your leg?” I asked.

“Nope. Made it until the end. I think he’s right.”

Just what I need. People think ‘psycho runner’ is right. She also mentioned that she finished her run with a dunk in Clear Creek and received unusual stares from a group on a picnic. I love it when people follow my advice.

Even his son Colby got in on the act. He posted the following comment on my blog site:

On some unlucky runs around town, Don (my dad) would yell at me from his car window when he drove by me standing at a stop light. "I stopped my watch" was somehow never a sufficient reply.

I must admit that I look for reasons to stop running and maybe that’s part of why I never achieved some of the things Don has in the sport. He owns a 4:04 mile pr, 14:09 for 5K and I know he’s like 30 minutes and change for a 10K... there’s also the fact that he raced at about 112 pounds, something I passed in 6th grade without so much as a pause.

So…I’m going to keep stopping for things like shoe laces, a drink of water, giving someone lost on the trails directions, hot chicks, people who want my autograph because they think I’m John Locke, taking a dump and…yes…peeing. I don’t care what Don does or what he thinks (it’s usually twisted…don’t get me started on his carbonation theory).

Oh…and I did another ride. Yesterday’s was tiring and I know I need more of these for the trips to the Adirondacks. Today’s went much better…I seem to get into the groove quickly once I’m already in shape…big surprise.

Bike duration: 90 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 125.
Calories burned during workout: 1300.

No comments:

Post a Comment