Friday, July 23, 2010

A good, long ride...

Thursday, July 22, 2010

I thought I’d feel chipper after taking a day off, but the hike with the pack and 250 step-ups I’d done on Tuesday was kicking my butt. My legs were still extremely tired and walking up stairs was a struggle. I was approaching 90 degrees again (when isn’t it) and I was thinking ‘ride’.

Good decision. I like to take long rides before backpacking trips because of the incredibly long days spent on the trail to reach and climb some of the peaks I’ll see in the Adirondacks. It’s pretty normal to start the day hiking at 8 a.m. and not get back into camp until 6 p.m., much of which I spent walking and with elevation changes of over 5,000 feet at times. I like to do something that has the quads firing repeatedly for long periods, which is something a long bike ride does nicely. I mean…I could go on four-hour hikes with a pack just looping through the park, but the intensity wouldn’t be the same because the elevation changes wouldn’t be there…and I’d get bored to death. Riding is different. I have plenty of hilly courses to ride out east and I can do it pretty intensely for three hours, which more closely simulates the long day of hiking and climbing…and I enjoy it.

I started out slowly…it was hot, but managed to pick it up by the halfway point and put in a pretty good effort. The pain I was experiencing walking around that day was not present on the bike…another good reason to ride. I was getting fatigued around 90 minutes, but continued to get out of the saddle and challenge the hills on the course. It was a good workout and excellent preparation for what’s coming.

When I returned home, I headed next door for the neighbor’s pool. His skimmer was working well and picked up the salt slick I deposited on top of the water upon entering. I love that he has the pool, keeps it clean, adds the chemicals and pays the upkeep and I just get to swim. The trade is…they get to have me for a neighbor. Got that going for them.

When I walked back home, I heard voices out back and found Savannah and Holly having a conversation on the patio.

“Dad – you’re looking a lot thinner,” Savannah said.

“Yeah. I am…thinner that is…and thanks,” I added.

I mean…you gotta love that. My daughter is noticing…and she is very stingy with the compliments. I’ve still got a long way to go…next summer for the ultimate triathlon…but it’s definitely working.

Bike duration: 2 hours and 25 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 125.
Calories burned during workout: 2175.

No comments:

Post a Comment