Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Getting ready for the Adirondacks

Sunday, July 25, 2010
John and I had scheduled a ride for today, which was kind of too bad since it was finally cool enough to run comfortably. It was raining in all morning and I was beginning to think that I’d run in the rain and ride later…if it ever cleared up.

I needed to take the Jeep out to see Dan…it was overheating…and so I packed my bike and riding gear on the off chance I’d be leaving it there and would have to ride back. This wouldn’t be a bad scenario because I would get in an extra 16 miles before John arrived. I went over everything I’d need for the ride and discovered I didn’t have my shorts so I ran in, grabbed them and returned. On my last trip to Dan’s to drop a car, I’d forgotten one of my riding shoes and having one foot clipped on and one flopping loose is not an efficient way to ride.

When I got to Dan’s it became evident I would be leaving the Jeep so I began pulling the bike from the car. As I grabbed my gear, I noticed the shorts were missing. A search of the car left me wanting and so I was in trouble again. I couldn’t ride in what I was wearing and so I called Holly to come and pick me up…which thrilled not a little.

I only need to bring my water bottles, shorts, shoes, helmet, riding gloves, and a t-shirt to ride home from Dan’s and I don’t know why having all of these things in the car when I drive there is such an issue, but it is. Can I chalk it up to age?

John and I went on a short ride, logging around 75 minutes. He thinks he’s still feeling the affects of the low iron from the stomach ulcer. He complained about being winded, but I thought we rode pretty strongly.

Reza stopped over shortly after my return and we went over in great detail the gear he should be bringing on our Adirondack trip. He was excited about going and wanted to make certain he had all of the essentials. He made a list of the things he would be needing and had two food requests – macaroni and cheese and pudding. Pudding is tricky in that it doesn’t like to jell, but I can drink the stuff so that’s no big deal. Jimmy would be coming over later to discuss what he’d need to bring…which is his mommy. I’ve been in the woods with this guy before and he needs constant care. His mom isn’t coming, so I’m going to do my best to have him ready ahead. The first rule of ‘Leave no trace’ camping is plan and prepare. Jimmy does neither, but he’s got complaining down to a science and when he realizes he’s forgotten something, he’ll have a long list of the reasons why it’s not his fault. I love this guy. It’s never dull when he’s around.

Bike duration: 75 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120.
Calories burned during workout: 1125.

No comments:

Post a Comment