Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Active Rest...

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Now it’s really starting to get to me. I’d forgotten just how easy running makes my exercise program. I can do it almost anytime, anywhere and in any conditions. Right now, I’m stuck doing non-weight bearing exercise, which for me means the bike and that has its limitations. I don’t like to ride in the rain and I won’t ride after dark. I was planning a ride for yesterday, but my cousin Donnie from upstate New York was in town for a visit so I put it off. He'd had an appointment at the Cleveland Clinic earlier in the day...something about a stroke or cholesterol or gout...I don't know.  He's got a list of ailments that I can’t even remember and if folks knew about in the north country, they'd just put him down like an old horse. That's why he comes here for medical treatment...we're a little more civilized.  He actually tries to take good care of himself, no more drinking or smoking and he's walking on a treadmill every morning and eats nothing but boring food.  In fact, he's planning on climbing Mt. Van Hoevenberg in the Adirondacks with John and me this September. I’ve convinced him that he can handle the climb…he’s my age, but not near the physical specimen I am...so I told him we’d take it easy. I know he can handle it and he’s going to love the views.

Anyway, after he left, Dan called to say the jeep was ready to pick up. If I hopped on the bike immediately, I’d have enough daylight to get there. Just about then, Holly drove in.

“I was planning on making a nice dinner and I don’t want to wait for you to get back to have it,” she said…which pretty much meant I would be hanging out and not riding.

I was stuck. I didn’t want to do any walking because the hip is still a little tender and I for sure didn’t want to take another day off. Then something occurred to me. With the runners I coach, I force them to take active breaks twice a year for two weeks…one following their cross country season and the other at the conclusion of track. I’d been training non-stop since mid-February and…so…time for my active break. Yeah…that’s the ticket.

So now in my head…I’m good. I’m supposed to be resting. My body needs it and will perform even better when I get back to training…staleness all gone. The break is also designed to be a mental stimulant…making the runner anxious to get back to it after a grueling season. Well…I’m already ready to get back to it…so it’s working. At least I know I will be hiking and climbing this Saturday and that’s a hell of a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment