Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Kenny Lofton was something else...

Monday, August 9, 2010

Kenny Lofton was in the broadcaster’s booth for the Indians game this past Saturday. He was in town for his indoctrination into the Indians Hall of Fame, which would be occurring the next day prior to the game. They were showing highlights from his brilliant career with the Tribe and seeing the players surrounding and congratulating him on one particular play, it made me sad for the young fans of today. I was looking at Jim Thome, Omar Vizquel, Sandy Alomar, Manny Ramirez, Eddie Murray, Carlos Baerga, and Albert Belle. Opposing pitchers must have trembled when they came to ‘The Jake’ knowing they would have to face this murderous lineup. And Kenny was the guy who set the table…made the whole thing run on high octane. I doubt that no matter how long I live or however many games I witness, I will ever see a play more important or exciting than seeing Kenny race home from second base on a wild pitch by Randy Johnson in the American League Championship Series of 1995 against the Seattle Mariners. No one…and I mean NO ONE…does that. You move up one base. He hit third and was half way to home before the Mariners realized what was happening. The look of shock on Randy Johnson’s face as he awaited the toss from the catcher recovering the wild pitch is priceless. Lofton slid under the tag and the Indians went on to beat the Mariners and earn a trip to the World Series…their first in 41 years. Anyway…I know…nice story, grandpa…but hey…when you’re right…you’re right. Right?

I decided to take another day of rest. My eye infection had returned and I couldn’t wear my contacts. I have a difficult time seeing when I wear glasses to workout because my sweat blurs my vision. It’s okay on a run, though I tend to stumble more, but it really doesn’t work riding the bike when cars are involved. Holly asked me to walk, but I’m even reluctant to do that…the hip is still tender and I don’t want to disappoint Heidi and Marie for backpacking and climbing this weekend. I should cut back on the eating since I’ve missed so many workout days lately, but…nah. I’m going to be burning major calories again soon and I need a little extra storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment