Friday, August 6, 2010

Hiking out...

Monday, August 2, 2010

I slept soundly until about 4 a.m. and fitfully after that. I never like breaking camp, but the chow hounds had eaten almost everything we could stuff in two bear canisters – usually enough food for a week. The weather was lousy…overcast and foggy and threatening more rain. Since this eliminated any chance of views…the reason I climb above the tree line…it didn’t make much sense to head up any peaks anyways. Breaking camp is always depressing to me, but that’s what we had to do.

We were on the trail and heading for the cars by 8 a.m. It’s about a 6.5 mile hike out, but at least it’s down hill and the packs are a little lighter because we’d eaten all the food. Still, mine was over 50 pounds and a little top heavy, so when I slipped on a wet rock in about the same area as I’d fallen on the way in, I found my face planted on the ground again. It reminded me how quickly a great trip can become a disaster with someone suffering a break or severe sprain. Fortunately, I’d only bruised my ego and I had some blood running down my forehead…which made me look cool.

We made it out in three hours and I plunged into the river near the car to clean up for the drive up north and a visit with relatives. We stopped at a little diner in Long Lake with home cooking and thus began the replenishment of lost calories. I devoured a cheeseburger in three bites and could have easily eaten another two. I made my way north to visit my Uncle and Aunt and to spend the night with my cousin, Donnie. Whenever I go there, I have to make them milkshakes because no one does it better. We had a shaker full of chocolate shakes and I ate about 8 slices of pizza…and was still hungry. Normally, I’d have pitched the tent and slept down by the Grasse River, which Donnie’s property abuts, but it was raining and I opted for a bed. Tomorrow…8 hour drive home.

Hike duration: 3 hours.
Training Heart Rate: 90.
Calories burned during workout: 1800.

No comments:

Post a Comment