Sunday, August 8, 2010

My first injury...

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Okay…it’d been a full week since I’d run the pr on the Clear Creek trail and suffered the hip pain. I’d had some pain early on during the hike in, but absolutely no problem on the trail…even following 14 hours over two days climbing and hiking. In fact, I’d kind of forgotten about it. That changed quickly.

I was about 10 minutes into the run when I noticed the pain. I figured it would go away…I hadn’t run in a week and it should be okay…but I figured wrong. By 20 minutes I was to the point where I was considering stopping and finally did at 24 minutes. I walked for about 5 minutes determined to stretch it out and walk it off and continue the run. I hadn’t stopped a workout in a long time and was hell bent to keep that streak intact. Dumb ass. I started running and went another two minutes with every step sending pain throughout the hip. Finally, I gave it up.

I began this quest almost 6 months ago and during that time I have lost no time to injury…which is really rather unusual for me. As a runner, I was constantly coming up against nagging, overuse problems and the occasional fall/twisted ankle thing. To have gone half a year injury-free was amazing. Yet here it was. I’ve had nagging pain in the left hip and worried that I could be facing arthritis…old runners think that way.

I went home, took some Allieve and packed it in ice, but the pain didn’t abate all night. I knew I was in trouble and would have to break down and visit the doctor’s office the next day if I was to be ready for my trip to the Adirondacks in another week.

Run duration: 25 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140
Calories burned during workout: 425.

No comments:

Post a Comment