Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Where's the junk food?

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reza had stopped in for a visit and, as is my custom, I offered him something to drink. Before my blog, this would have meant he’d be getting my famous mixture of Minute Maid lemonade and Lipton Iced Tea. I’ve been keeping a half gallon of each in the fridge and mixing them 50/50 for a lot longer than Arnie Palmer has been putting it in a jug and making millions on it. Another lost opportunity…but that’s another story.

“I’ve got some Crystal Lite Raspberry Green tea if you’d like it,” I said and since he’s polite, he took some. Then I offered him a piece of the pinole I’d just taken from the oven. He’s been trying the different versions and took this one with his usual skepticism, but that was about to change.

“This is actually really good,” he said after swallowing his first bite. “I think you’re really on to something.”

“I know it’s good…and what’s more, it’s like Lay’s potato chips…there is no way you can eat just one,” I said. He agreed and took another, but had this funny grin on his face. I asked him why the goofy look.

“You know…this used to be a place I could come and be assured I could eat and drink stuff that was totally full of sugar and bad for me…and now look what you’ve become,” he answered.

And he was right. I suppose though, the drink is the single biggest difference I’ve made to my diet that has stuck, but what a difference it has made. I know I was drinking 300 calories a night before the blog began and with all the training I’m doing now, I’d likely be averaging 500 calories in beverages if I hadn’t changed. Sometimes, it’s the simple things hiding in plain sight…you just need to look around and figure out what they are.

The hip was actually feeling a smidge better, but a long way from right. It was another bike night, which was fine since the weather was perfect. I planned to go a little longer…I really need to build up to 3-4 hour rides before going back to the Adirondacks…so I headed for Old Mill Road – the Iron Lung – and my course out Pekin Road.

I love this route because of the lack of traffic, challenging hills, and the endless variations I can do for a change of scenery. It’s quite amazing how quickly Greater Cleveland becomes and stays rural…and I’m definitely the beneficiary when it comes to riding bikes. My legs felt good and I pushed hard taking a route that had me riding for almost two hours. I’m getting stronger quickly, since this ride was pretty easy and I had now ridden four of the previous five days. It comes back that way when I’m already in shape, though my neck and shoulders don’t like the bent over, awkward position I put them in when riding with drop handlebars. Just another problem of becoming a really old man.

Bike duration: One hour and 55 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 120.
Calories burned during workout: 1,700.

No comments:

Post a Comment