Monday, November 29, 2010

A day for thanks...

Thursday, November 25, 2010
I don’t like to get too serious here, but it is Thanksgiving day, after all. I won’t go anywhere near the original source of the day and the things we ‘Americans’ give thanks for…as compared to what the true Americans might think of such a celebration. No…instead I tend to think about the blessings I enjoy personally and particularly what has happened since the last Thanksgiving.

How do people get through the difficult stretches in their lives without the staunch and loving support of family and friends? I don’t know and I don’t want to know. What I do know is I have plenty of both and thank God for it. It causes me to reflect regularly on what is truly important in my life and how I need to constantly ‘pay forward’ the blessings I receive…daily.

Okay…on to the good, the bad, and the ugly…which for me is all about the feeding trough. I started the day with Tony the Tiger and went down hill from there…and let’s face it…I was in a valley. There was a nasty, cold drizzle falling outside which meant ‘no riding’. I had reached the decision that I’d be on the trainer before dinner, but was putting it off until the afternoon when I could be the greatest inconvenience by working out in the family room while Holly was trying to finish dinner and get the house ready for company. I wonder what she’s thankful for?

I was watching the Macy’s day parade when Jason arrived to pick up Jack for his annual football game. Am I the only one who watches that parade and gets teary-eyed thinking about my childhood watching this same parade and thinking about all those people who or no longer there to watch with me? I doubt it. Anyway, I had told Jason that I’d go to his ‘Turkey Bowl’ and take pictures. They would be playing tackle football up at the high school with a bunch of mid-20’s guys who were mostly out of shape and would likely be unable to move for the rest of the weekend. Jack went along, but he was likely to be the only teen in the group.

“Want me to play?” I asked.

Jason looked at me to see if I was serious before responding. He couldn’t tell. “Um…dad…you’re pretty old, don’t you think?”

I was looking for “we’ve got enough guys, dad and besides, with your level of conditioning and out-of-the-box athleticism…well…the guys would be intimidated.” Okay…maybe I was really looking for a simple ‘sure’.

We went up to the high school and I stood with Savannah in the rain snapping pictures. She held the umbrella and after they all gathered for a group shot, we jumped in the car and got out of there. Once home, I immediately downloaded and edited the pics. Jason wasn’t far behind and joined me in the office. I’m old and have been taking pictures for forty years. I remember when it was such a big deal to go to the photo shop and pick up pictures that had been in the camera for a month and the excitement I felt as I held my slides to the light to determine how good they were before pulling out the slide projector. Not anymore. We had those pictures on facebook for all of his friends to see before they returned home to wash the mud from their bodies and deposit their filthy clothes somewhere their mothers, wives or whatever could deal with them.

I set the trainer up in front of the TV and tuned in the Lions/Patriots game. Though I couldn’t care less about the game, it helped me struggle through a 1-hour ride. Heidi was cleaning around me; I could hear Holly working in the kitchen and Ash setting the table and assisting. I was pushing my luck, but had to get in the ride. I still had to wash the kitchen floor…my job before company arrived and by the time I’d showered, put away the bike and washed the floor, Holly’s folks were walking in.

“Floor’s wet…be careful,” I said like I’d been washing in between preparing the meal and cleaning the dishes.

Actually, I practiced some restraint. I love dark meat and nibble constantly while my father-in-law does the carving. I mean I’m pretty much stuffed before I sit down for dinner. Still, I had more turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, dressing, green beans, corn, and jello. I did not go for seconds and, as usual, skipped dessert…I’d get it later. I’d probably have more turkey before retiring, too. It’s so hard to resist. I’m worthless and weak…I know.

Bike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 950.

No comments:

Post a Comment