Monday, November 22, 2010

Too much work, too little work out...

Saturday, November 20, 2010

I headed for Mimi’s first thing in the morning. I had some winterizing to do there and was bringing along an insulation blanket I’d made by taping three strips of fiberglass insulation together and would put over the opening into the attic into which the folding stairs retracted. I walked into the house from the garage to the smell of fresh-perked coffee. She’s been reading my blog and knows how hard I’m working at controlling the weight, so she had two doughnuts on a plate waiting for me. Nice.

We talked about Jim and Bob for a while before diving into the list she’d created on her computer…something she was starting to use more and hoping I’d give her a couple of lessons. Anyone that knows me well and how proficient I am with a computer would find this comical. But hey…I can write and post a blog and sometimes I even add pictures. I’m practically ready to build one…

I did the gutters again, cleaned out the garage, pulled cots from the attic, raked leaves and assembled a shoe rack that Mimi was sure would change her life. When I went to the shed to look for a tool, I immediately noticed a pile of leaves in the far corner. I quickly stood on the tractor so I could get a look overhead on the storage platform. Sure enough…a squirrel’s nest. The bastard had chewed through a small opening he’d found in the overhang and made his way in. There was no way I was leaving him and his opening there and had to return home to get the wood and supplies to effect the repair.

I completed the repair and headed for home to take the van to Dan’s. He was going to replace the stabilizer bar and I was going to help. I’m almost as good around cars as I am with computers…so he’d probably charge me more for helping him. We were also taking a car Ash wanted to buy for him to check over. It had a manual transmission…something she’d driven only once before…and the effort to get it out there was eventful to say the least. I had one driver flip me off while I was trying to jump the battery after one of many stalls. I understand being frustrated, but did he really think I wanted to be parked on Wilson Mills with my hood up, facing another car with four lanes of traffic rushing by? Anyway, he’ll probably die from an anxiety attack, bleeding ulcer, or some other malady associated with impatience…so…tough.

We never made it do Dan’s. I concluded that we needed a new battery and after pushing it with the van into the Heinen’s parking lot, headed for the store to get a battery and home to get someone who drove a stick.

I never did get to do a work out of any sorts. I was hoping for a bike ride, but life really got in the way again. Tomorrow is another day and I’m going to run…farther.

No comments:

Post a Comment