Thursday, November 11, 2010

Setting new goals...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I spend a lot of time wondering what I should or could have done differently to have made a difference in my brother’s life. I’m bothered by the fact that I didn’t get more actively involved in his medical treatment because I knew he wasn’t doing the things he should have to take care of himself. Sure…he was an adult and should have been handling things, but he wasn’t and I knew it. I don’t know that it would have changed the outcome, but at least I would have seen it coming and prepared the both of us a little better.

I did a eulogy for Jim, but left a couple of things on the cutting room floor. I had considered, but didn’t say, that no one goes to their grave thinking they spent too much time with loved ones…it’s always the other way around. That’s me for sure. I’ve been trying to come up with a way to make sure I spend more time with those folks, but life seems to immediately get in the way. I have been extremely successful with my fitness regimen since last February primarily for two reasons. First, I made a plan with a measurable goal and second, I shared it with people…by writing this blog. Why not do the same with committing to seeing people important to me? I know I blow a lot of time every evening…and if I’d just take two nights a week and schedule a visit with someone, I’d still get the things done I need to do around the house, I’m sure. Anyway…that’s my goal and it’s measurable and I can write about it. Boring? Could be…but I've never let that stop me before and I’m liable to embellish a thing or two, which could make it more interesting to read. You decide.

I was still sore from the 50-mintue run I’d done the previous evening when I climbed from the car in the Metropark. It’s a little discouraging how quickly the body de-conditions itself, but that’s all the more reason not to stop. Anyway, the first five minutes were pretty painful in the abdominal area…something I’ve had for years whenever running too many miles…or starting back too quickly. I planned a 30-minute run…part of my plan to ease back in…and after the initial 5 minutes, felt pretty good the rest of the way. I love Indian summer nights…seasonably warm runs in fading sunlight illuminating the trails and treetops in an orange glow. It does make it hard to see the roots, but there’s always a tradeoff and I’ll take this one.

I finished the run and headed home. Tomorrow, I’ll go to Kent to visit my son, Jason, and I’ve got my brother Jeff’s family coming over Friday for dinner. I’m already looking forward to executing the plan to insert myself into the lives of those I care about. Those lucky bastards.

Run duration: 30 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 140 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 500.

No comments:

Post a Comment