Thursday, November 18, 2010

Listening to the doctor's advice...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My doc knows me pretty well and was explicit with his instructions for my returning to running. He wrote that if I could walk/live with minimal pain, then I was okay to try jogging, but not ‘super far’. He even gave me a pain scale, saying that if I was a 3 or lower on a 10 point scale, I could continue to run, but only on an every-other day basis. The ‘super far’ is open to interpretation as is the pain scale, but I know what he wants, though I tend to abuse good advice. This time though, I’ll do my best to get it right. Options are more limited for an exercise fix this time of year and I don’t want to eliminate the easiest and my favorite.

Today was not a ‘minimal pain’ day and so I had no allusions about running. I did however plan to do a longer walk in the park to see how it reacted. I arrived near dark, but pulled my camera out anyway and went on a 1-hour, off-trail loop with the hope of spotting some big buck and snapping a decent picture or two. As soon as I began walking up hill, the pain in the outside part of my foot returned and continued to throb throughout the hike. I suppose it was a little above minimal, though as I’ve often explained to Holly…what’s minimal to me would kill an normal person...and she loves it when I say that. Anyway…I could live with it so I kept going.

The leaves were too crunchy and broadcast my presence to any potential deer, so there were no picture opportunities. I did scare up one large, red-tailed hawk, which flew ahead of me maneuvering between trees in ways that amaze me considering their wing span and the density of the forest. I returned to the car after an hour thinking that my foot was getting better, but probably a couple of days away from trying to run. I’m going to be patient. I’m going to follow the good doctor’s advice. I’m mature and responsible now…

Hike duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 70 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 420.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete