Monday, November 15, 2010

Raking for exercise

Friday, November 12, 2010

I spent the day limping. Both of my feet were sore, but the right was giving me the most discomfort. I’ve suffered from plantar fascitis before and figured it was simply another case of this painful malady. Plantar fascitis is pain caused when the plantar fascia, the connective tissue running on the bottom of the foot from the heel bone to the toes, is enflamed. It happens quite a bit with runners…and that’s what I’m trying to be. I knew I wouldn’t be running, but I had a lot of leaves to rake and figured I’d get home and do a little of that for a workout. I knew it was going to be sunny and in the 60’s on Saturday and figured I’d be able to get in a long ride to compensate for missing a day.

I spent an hour raking leaves onto a large tarp and dragging them to the tree lawn. My foot continued to throb during this activity, but not too seriously. We had family for dinner and spent the next couple of hours after just sitting and talking. When I went to get up to grab some dessert, I practically pitched forward onto my nose when my right foot sent shock waves of pain up my leg and into the part of my brain that says once again…you f*&^%d up. I limped…hopped to the kitchen, hoping the movement would loosen things up…but nothing doing. There was something seriously wrong, though I was at a loss as to what triggered it. Holly grabbed my ice pack out of the freezer and I wrapped it around my foot and put it up on a chair. This has the appropriate effect of getting everyone to feel sorry for me…or tell me I’m stupid for ignoring the warning signals. Any attention is good, though, so I took it. I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be running any time soon when I finally hopped up to my bed and flopped down for night. I did figure I’d be feeling better in the morning, though.

Leaf raking duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 70 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 350.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about your temporary setback. I know the macho John will try to ignore his own advice, so I will remind you as well. Ice and stretch constantly. You can do both when you roll the foot periodically on a frozen water bottle to aid in reducing inflammation and stretching ligaments. Stay off the foot until you have a full week with no pain. You can't run through this type of injury. Now would be a good time to focus on the upper body and do some weight lifting for your future sculptured look.

    Postman

    ReplyDelete