Thursday, September 8, 2011

Excellent endorsement for 'Paleo' and the Survival Workout

Wednesday, September 07, 2011

I was going to be meeting with one of the lead doctors from the Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Institute, a foremost authority on how much of an impact (clinically substantiated) lifestyle decisions made on quality of life and the condition of the body and mind. He lived and breathed it every day, running the Lifestyle 180 program and seeing the impact sensible eating, exercise and mental well being had on the clients he served. Never shy about these things, I had brought along my copy of ‘The Paleo Diet for the Athlete’ as well as a couple of questions regarding the Survival Workout. As we were concluding the meeting, I pulled out the book. “What do you think of this whole ‘Paleo’ thing as it relates to what you’re doing?” His smile broadened as he answered, “Cordian (the book’s author) really knows what he’s talking about and it’s very good stuff,” he said. I told him how I’d been following the diet for over four months now and, in conjunction with my ‘Survival’ workout, believed it responsible for the new lighter, stronger me. “I could tell you’d lost weight and I really like what you describe you are doing in the woods. People don’t need to join gyms. They can get what they need…as you say…in the parks and around their homes,” he agreed.

We had talked about health care reimbursement for services that kept people well (difficult to get paid) verses those more expensive services to treat people who are sick (normally paid) and the frustration this created. Employers, too, are hard to convince that an investment in keeping staff well is cheaper than paying medical expenses when they are sick. “We need more documented evidence to support what common sense tells us is absolutely true if we are to get them on board,” he said and I know what he means. Working in manufacturing where productivity and the cost of manufacturing and building the item is everything, it’s hard to convince upper management that they build in a new cost that ‘should’ save money down the line. It was so refreshing to speak to someone with whom I shared so many basic philosophies.

I did the Survival Workout without a partner later that night and found that I did not push myself as hard as when I was with someone else. Not that I have to impress anyone, but there is something about having another person there…almost like a teacher making sure you don’t cheat…that makes me do one more rep or one more set than I might otherwise do. I still did everything on the agenda, but I know I left a couple of reps undone before the workout was over. I also tried going ‘Off’ free for the first time in a month only to discover half a dozen nice welts when I returned home afterwards. They aren’t as bad…but they’re still there.

Both Holly and I were feeling the need for some fat in our diets so I threw hot dogs on the grill. I did wash it down with a smoothie and we had sweet corn…unbuttered…but sometimes you just need a little extra fat and sodium…and nothing quite fits that order like a couple of hot dogs.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment