Thursday, September 1, 2011

Training properly for running is WAY overrated...

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Wow…were my legs hurting and tired! Again…do as I say and not as I do. Yesterday’s attempt to pr on my 7-mile trail course when I’d been running once a week for the last month and never over 35 minutes was…well…colossally stupid…to put it mildly. And on a day when the humidity rivaled an Amazonian rain forest? COLLASSALLY STUPID! I spent the day trying to rehydrate myself since I could tell I was still down some water weight that needed to be replaced. Anyway…I was sore today and not looking forward to any part of any workout…but I was going to do one.

I headed for the park and the Survival Workout. I’d purposely left push-ups out of my last workout because my biceps muscle on my right arm gets sore whenever I’m doing them. I thought if I took about five days off from doing them, it might heal. Wrong again. I knew after the first that it was still screwed up…but did that stop me from doing 13? Anyway, the rest of the workout was standard stuff with the mosquito’s doing their damndest to get to me. I did add three trips up the swing set pole without…climbing it like we used to climb the rope in gym class without the use of feet. This puts such emphasis on the muscles of the hands, arms, and back as well as the core muscles which scream their resistance going up…and coming down if you do it slowly.

I was returning along the bridle trail when a saw a stick about the thickness of a broomstick stretched across it. I was thinking how much Dakota would like to grab it when it began to move. The ‘stick’ was a black snake over 5 feet in length and the first one I’ve ever seen in the park. I love getting to see that kind of stuff, which is part of the reason I’ll always try to do my workouts in this…or some other outdoor venue. You never see a snake in a fitness facility. Never.

Survival Workout duration: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100 to 150 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 600.

No comments:

Post a Comment