Monday, September 5, 2011

A little extra for overeating...

Sunday, September 04, 2011

I knew I had to do something long…because of the guilt from eating poorly the day before. I suppose it wasn’t all that bad, but with the way I’ve reconditioned my thinking, it was a huge slip and needed corrective action. I also wanted to do some long aerobic activity since in two weeks, John, Paul and I would be climbing peaks for three consecutive days in the Adirondacks and would need the kind of endurance you get from long rides.

I headed out my Pekin Road course with a turn around at Burton/Windsor Road. Normally, the road is quiet and was until I crossed Auburn where I began to notice increasingly heavy traffic for the remainder of the ride to the half way point. I can only surmise that with the Geauga County Fair in Burton, that this road was some kind of short cut. I was in no particular hurry and made it out in an hour and forty minutes. On the return trip, I added some miles by cutting through the park, but had slowed some when a rider from Lake Lucerne pulled along side of me and began a conversation. I found out that he knew an old Iron Man buddy, Randy Tevepaugh, and that he was a lot younger than me and riding one of those light weight road bikes like John’s. He said he noticed a huge difference in climbing when he switched bikes, something he found to be a necessity since the crowd he rode with all had them and he couldn’t keep up unless he switched. I suppose if you have the money that’s okay, but my competitive riding days are behind me and now I’m riding for the workout. I could likely ride a couple of miles an hour faster on the lighter bike, but my effort would be the same so the conditioning and calories burned would be the same, as well. Since I almost always ride alone, it doesn’t matter how fast I’m going…I’m not holding anyone up…so what does it matter? When they start making the 10-pound bikes, I’ll convince John he needs one and that, to make him feel okay about buying one, I’ll take his 15-pounder off him and put it to good use. Until then, I’ll ride my Trek tank.

I finished the ride exhausted and with a nice rash where the bike seats meets my seat. I’d been sweating pretty heavily and the salt rubbing did its thing. I went to my sister’s for a birthday gathering of relatives and found that sitting on wooden kitchen chairs was less than comfortable. She had a lot of non-Paleo food, which I avoided until it was time for dessert. They had about five kinds of ice cream, which I came to find was made from Wooly Mammoth Milk…way to go Breyer’s…so I had a little…too much. Anyway, I’ll do something tomorrow to make up for that and then I’ll do something on Tuesday to make up for the burgers I’ll probably eat at our cookout tomorrow…and then I’ll…

Bike workout: 3 hours and 30 minutes
Training Heart Rate: 130 bpm.
Calories burned during workout: 2,900.

No comments:

Post a Comment