Thursday, August 9, 2012

A little running...a lot of sweating

Sunday, August 5, 2012
I entered the woods for the Survival Workout with my knee feeling strong and wondering whether I should test it.  I decided a medium hard Indian run through the woods wouldn’t be a bad test since it only lasted 60 seconds, so I bolted in and began hurdling logs and dodging trees and roots. I emerged back on the bath breathing heavily and walked slowly testing the knee with each step.  It seemed fine. 

I climbed a steep hill karaoke-style for my second knee challenge.  I broke the hill into three segments and performed each one without pain.  I was starting to be encouraged.  For the remainder of the workout, I jogged 2-minute segments between stations and by the time I returned to the car, had completed 10 minutes of running pain-free.  Though this was a good sign, I knew from previous experience that the pain would likely come later…if it was coming at all. 

It was extremely humid and I’d lost a few pounds of water during the workout.  Once home, I bathed in the neighbor’s pool and then began building some new shed doors and painting the trim on the shed.  The sweat kept pouring off me and I needed to more cleansings in the pool over the next several hours.  I enjoy working in these conditions.  I feel like I’m getting a second workout it just breathing.  I probably dropped another 5 pounds through the course of the afternoon, being the world’s sweatiest human, and was likely completely destroying the pH balance of the pool.  I paid attention to my knee as I worked, and at no time did I have any pain.  I probably should have iced it that evening, but lost track of that thought in the excitement of the Olympics.  Well…I should be able to run.  It’s been 8 weeks and 3-5 was supposed to be the waiting period.  I’ll know more tomorrow.

Survival Workout: 60 minutes.
Training Heart Rate: 100-150.
Calories burned:  600.

No comments:

Post a Comment