Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"You did what with the rest of the choocolate chip cookies?"

Saturday, August 11, 2012
I started Saturday morning the way I’d ended Friday night…with a smoothie.  I’d looked in Donnie’s pantry and found only sugared cereals…the kind I used to love, but now avoided like the plague.  Normally, I’d have whipped up a batch of French toast, but Donnie wasn’t interested.

“You feel okay?” I asked.  He’s never turned it down before, but he was good with a smoothie.

I got on the road for home by 10 a.m. and arrived in Cleveland around 5 p.m.  I eaten a couple of bananas on the drive and when added to the smoothie for breakfast, nothing was really sticking to my ribs.  We were supposed to be going out to dinner and then heading to the Palace to see the film classic ‘Some Like It Hot’ starring Marilyn Monroe. 

We ended up at Becky’s Bar and Grill downtown near the theatre district where I ordered a burger with nothing on the side.  What was I thinking?  I wolfed the burger, which was a decent size, but if I’d been at home and cooking on the grill, would have made three for myself.  I began looking around the table at the meals of the other three people sitting with me.  They all seemed like they’d be finishing, so leftovers were out.  I’d suffer through the movie and the drive home and do something about my grumbling stomach then.

It was my first Marilyn Monroe movie and although it was really dumb, she was fantastic.  I could see why a generation had found her to be the sexiest woman on the planet and enjoyed the sexual innuendoes throughout the movie.  It was like watching a history documentary on what could or couldn’t be done in the fifties when making movies. 

We made our way back home past many and various food establishments offering pizzas, burgers and, well, food molecules, which is what I really needed.  I’d been thinking about the chocolate cookies Holly had made for me for my trip.  I’d only taken half with me.  Once home, Holly pulled out watermelon…not substantial enough…so I mentioned the cookies.

“I took them to work because no one was eating them here and they’d been sitting around for so long,” she said.

Horrified, I replied, “Sitting around too long?  You made them on Thursday afternoon and took them to work on Friday morning?  That’s not sitting around too long! That’s…that’s…that’s…insane!”

I was none too happy.  Watermelon.  Could have been cookies and milk.  I wanted to fire up the grill and make a half dozen burgers, I was getting so hungry…and I wasn’t thinking clearly.  We had company though, and I couldn’t melt down in front of them, so I ate watermelon and thought about my next move.

“I’m making PBJ’s if anyone’s hungry,” I announced quite suddenly. 

Holly looked at me like I was daft, but now it just sounded like the best thing in the world.  I loaded two bagels in the toaster oven while pulling out the crunchy peanut butter and the strawberry jam from the frig.  In no time, I had two wonderful sandwiches and a glass of milk and shortly thereafter, I was satiated.  I’d forgotten just how good PBJ’s taste, but they’re not on the Paleo diet radar and it’s been awhile.

So…no workout and poor dietary choices.  Tomorrow I’m planning a 30-minute run since the last one went so well and the knee is still sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment